Nintendo has announced that Miitomo, its first foray into mobile gaming, will shut down its services on May 9th.
Released in March 2016, Miitomo was a conversational social media type app that centered around answering random questions about yourself and sharing those answers with your friends. While many were excited at the time as it was Nintendo’s first time entering the mobile gaming community, it ultimately failed to hold many people’s attention. The app reached 10 million downloads in less than two months, but the question answering and simple conversations grew stale for many quite quickly, and by May 2016 less than 25% of people were still interacting with the app on a weekly basis.
For those of you who still use Miitomo, or used it and have since stopped, Nintendo has made a couple notes about what will happen with your account when the app shuts down:
- Launching Miitomo after May 9th will result in a message saying the app’s services are no longer running.
- You will no longer be able to see your answers or messages, and all clothing and in-game items will also be unavailable.
- Any Miitomo themed icons or clothing items in your Nintendo Account or Super Mario Run will no longer display.
- Miis can be transferred to your Nintendo Account by linking your Nintendo Account to the Miitomo app between now and May 9th if you have not done so already.
- Sidekick Miis will be deleted but can be saved as a QR code and then transferred to your 3DS or Wii U console.
- If you want to save any Miifotos, you will need to save them to your smart device before May 9th. This includes Miifotos shared on social media.
Chris started loving video games at a young age, playing Super Mario World and Star Fox on his parents’ SNES. Although Nintendo (the Switch in particular these days) is still front and center for him, he also spends a fair amount of time on his PS4 and PC. He is also a huge fan of the Fire Emblem and Star Fox franchises. Chris enjoys watching basketball as well and is a huge fan of the Portland Trail Blazers.
Plays: Switch, PS4, PC.